Water & Sewer Master Plan
The purpose of the Water & Sewer Master Plan is to further the health and welfare of citizens residing or working in Carroll County through the orderly development and expansion of adequate water and sewer systems. The Water & Sewer Master Plan implements and is consistent with the County Master Plan and community comprehensive plans. Through a coordinated effort with the municipalities, the Water & Sewer Master Plan schedules and sets priorities for water and sewer projects based on an evaluation of facilities usage, the need for upgrade and/or expansion, public health considerations, and planned growth patterns.
Title 9, Subtitle 5, Health-Environmental Article of the Annotated Code of Maryland, requires Carroll County to review and adopt a Water & Sewer Master Plan every three years. Amendments are processed bi-annually, as needed, in the interim. The Maryland Department of the Environment Regulation 26.03.01 establishes procedures for implementing the law. This Water & Sewer Master Plan has been developed in accordance with those regulations. This plan is adopted by resolution of the Carroll County Commissioners and does not become effective until approved by Maryland Department of the Environment (MDE).
2017 Triennial Update
On December 18, 2018, the Planning and Zoning Commission, along with the County's eight municipalities, certified consistency of the Triennial Update to the Carroll County Water and Sewer Master Plan, and forwarded it to the Board of County Commissioners for a public hearing on February 7, 2019.
The Board of County Commissioners Adopted this plan on February 21, 2019, and forwarded it on to the Maryland Department of the Environment.
2017 Carroll County Water & Sewer Master Plan - Adopted February 2019 (entire document)
2013 Triennial Update
On November 6, 2013, the Planning and Zoning Commission, along with the County's eight municipalities, Certified the 2013 Carroll County Water and Sewer Master Plan, and forwarded it to the Board of County Commissioners for a public hearing on December 5, 2013.
The Board of County Commissioners Adopted this plan on December 19, 2013, and forwarded it on to the Maryland Department of the Environment. The plan was Approved by the Maryland Department of the Environment on July 2, 2014.
State law requires the Plan to be updated every three years. Updates have been made to maps, data, figures, and relevant supporting information. The Plan covers all areas of the County, including community water supply and sewerage systems, and planned service areas including maps of these areas.
2014 Carroll County Water & Sewer Master Plan - MDE Approved (entire document)
To view an individual map, please click the link below for the appropriate map.
- Bark Hill Water Service Area
- Freedom Sewer Service Area
- Freedom Water Service Area
- Hampstead Sewer Service Area
- Hampstead Water Service Area
- Manchester Sewer Service Area
- Manchester Water Service Area
- Mount Airy Sewer Service Area
- Mount Airy Water Service Area
- New Windsor Sewer Service Area
- New Windsor Water Service Area
- Pleasant Valley Sewer Service Area
- Pleasant Valley Water Service Area
- Taneytown Sewer Service Area
- Taneytown Water Service Area
- Union Bridge Sewer Service Area
- Union Bridge Water Service Area
- Westminster Sewer Service Area
- Westminster Water Service Area
2007 Triennial Update
The 2007 triennial update of the Water & Sewer Master Plan was adopted by the Board of County Commissioners on March 1, 2007. Maryland Department of the Environment subsequently approved the plan, and it became effective on September 10, 2007.
2007 Master Plan for Water and Sewerage
- Introductory Briefing
- Review of the Report
- Table of Contents
- Introduction and Definitions
- Chapter 1 - Goals of Carroll County
- Chapter 2 - Background Information
- Figure 1 - Carroll County and Environs Map
- Figure 2 - Carroll and the Baltimore Regional Planning Area Map
- Figure 3 - Wetlands and Streams Map
- Figure 4 - General Soils Map
- Figure 5 - General Geologic Map
- Figure 6 - General Aquifer Map
- Figure 7 - Forested Areas and Steep Slope Soils Map
- Figure 8 - Water Resource Management Area Guidance Map
- Figure 9 - 2000 and 2025 Population Density Map
- Figure 10 - Major Public Institutions
- Figure 11 - Agricultural Land Preservation
- Figure 12 - Carroll County Master Plan Map
- Figure 13 - Major Watersheds
- Chapter 3 - Water Supply Facilities
- Chapter 4 - Sewerage Facilities
- Appendix 1 Carroll County Master Plan Vision and Goals
- Appendix 2 Procedure for Obtaining Water or Sewer Extensions by Developers
- Appendix 3 Method for Projecting Water Supply and Sewerage Demands
- Appendix 4 Carroll County Community Investment Plan - Utilities Enterprise (FY07-12)
- Appendix 5 MDE Approval, Carroll County Resolution No. 694-07,
Carroll County Planning Commission Certification
The Plan also includes maps which define the planned service area for water systems and sewerage systems in the County.