Forms of County Government Forum
Location: Room K100 at Carroll Community College
Link to YouTube Stream:
Westminster, MD, Thursday, April 11, 2019 – The Carroll County Board of Commissioners (BOC) announces they will host a forum to inform the county and its citizens on the three types of government available in Maryland. The forum will be held Tuesday, June 11, 2019 at 7:00 PM in Room K100 at Carroll Community College. Citizens are encouraged to attend.
Three professionals knowledgeable in the forms of local government will give presentations followed by a question and answer session.
Members of the forum will be:
Leslie Knapp, Jr., Legal and Policy Counsel, Maryland Association of Counties (MACo)
- Advises and guides the association on legal, liability and regulatory matters, affecting both the association itself and its member counties
- Legislative Affairs Areas: environment, governmental liability and courts, parks and recreation, planning and zoning, and public information and ethics
- Liaison to affiliates including attorneys, environmental health, engineers, planners and recreation and parks
Robert S. McCord, MBA, J.D., Secretary of the Maryland Department of Planning
- Former Deputy Secretary/Acting Secretary of Planning
- Former Assistant Secretary of Operations and Community, Maryland Department of Planning
- Former Adjunct Professor/Faculty Advisor, University of Baltimore School of Law
- Former Special Assistant to the Harford County Executive
- Former Harford County Attorney
Victor Tervala, Esq., Chief Solicitor, Office of General Counsel
- Advises clients throughout Maryland on legal structures, forms and powers of county and municipal government, state-local relations, and the historical precedents that underlie these legal structures
- Serves as principal legal advisor on telecommunications and utility infrastructure
- Maryland Bar Association, State and Local Government Section (member of Governance Committee)
- Member of the Maryland Municipal Attorneys Association
- University of Maryland at Baltimore, J.D. with honors, 1989
- University of Maryland College Park, M.A., Government, and Politics, 1980
- Tulane University, B.A., Political Science and International Relations, 1974
In January 2019, the commissioners chose to investigate and learn about code home rule and charter forms of government. This educational forum is the first step in this process.
For interested citizens, the Maryland Association of Counties website provides a detailed comparison of the three types of government as well as a chart of current structure for Maryland counties and Baltimore City.