Cooling Centers to Open Saturday, June 29, 2019
Friday, June 28, 2019 – Forecasters are anticipating high heat and humidity for our area on Saturday, June 29, 2019. Because of the anticipated high temperatures, the Carroll County Public Library System and the Human Services Programs of Carroll County, Inc. will operate cooling centers around the county. Residents who are vulnerable to extreme heat and who do not have air-conditioning in their homes are encouraged to cool off in any of the following locations until the close of business:
All branches of the Carroll County Public Library System will be open as cooling centers during regular business hours on Saturday 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM
- Eldersburg Branch, 6400 Hemlock Drive, Eldersburg
- Finksburg Branch, 2265 Old Westminster Pike, Finksburg
- Mt. Airy Branch, 705 Ridge Avenue, Mt. Airy
- North Carroll Branch, 2255 Hanover Pike, Hampstead
- Taneytown Branch, 10 Grand Drive, Taneytown
- Westminster Branch, 50 East Main Street, Westminster
Human Services Programs of Carroll County, Inc. will also open a cooling center on Saturday 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM
- 127 Stoner Avenue, Westminster
Access to air conditioning and water will be available for those who need them at any of the cooling centers.
Carroll County Emergency Management offers the following safety tips for when temperatures and humidity are high:
- Slow down. Strenuous activities should be reduced or rescheduled to the coolest time of the day.
- Wear loose, lightweight, and light-colored clothing.
- Eat less protein and more fruits and vegetables, and drink plenty of water.
- Stay in air-conditioned buildings or rooms, and limit time outside if possible.
- Additional places you can go to cool down in Carroll County include stores, malls, restaurants, churches, movie theaters, and homes of friends and family.
For additional information, visit the Carroll County Health Department website