Cooling Center to Open Friday - Saturday, July 3-4
Thursday, July 2, 2020 – Forecasters are anticipating excessive heat for our area on Friday, July 3 through Saturday, July 4. Because of this weekend’s anticipated high temperatures, the Carroll County Department of Citizen Services and the Human Services Program of Carroll County (HSP) will operate a cooling center at the Westminster Senior and Community Center. Residents who are vulnerable to extreme heat and who do not have air-conditioning in their homes are encouraged to cool off at this location:
- Westminster Senior and Community Center, 125 Stoner Ave., Westminster (11 AM - 4 PM, Fri. – Sat.)
Access to air conditioning and water will be available for those who need them at the cooling center.
Due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, all residents will be required to wear an appropriate face covering and practice social distancing measures while visiting the cooling center. Disposable masks will be provided to individuals visiting the cooling center who do not have their own to wear.
Carroll County Emergency Management offers the following safety tips for when temperatures and humidity are high:
- Slow down. Strenuous activities should be reduced or rescheduled to the coolest time of the day.
- Wear loose, lightweight, and light-colored clothing.
- Eat less protein and more fruits and vegetables, and drink plenty of water.
- Stay in air-conditioned buildings or rooms, and limit time outside if possible.
For additional information, visit the Carroll County Health Department website at: https://cchd.maryland.gov/