Sole Proprietors and Home-Based Businesses May Receive Phase 2 Small Business COVID-19 Emergency Relief Funding
Westminster, MD, Monday, April 20, 2020 - The Carroll County Board of Commissioners voted on April 14th to expand the Carroll County Small Business COVID-19 Emergency Relief Fund, offering working capital to assist Carroll County sole proprietors and home-based small businesses with disrupted operations due to COVID-19. The Carroll County Department of Economic Development worked with the Comptroller, County Attorney and the Industrial Development Authority to establish the second phase of the fund in the amount of $200,000. The application portal will open April 20, 2020 at 5:00 PM.
Businesses must apply online at http://carrollbiz.org/ and meet the following conditions to be considered for the $1,250 grant:
- Sole Proprietors and home-based businesses, established prior to March 5, 2020, with less than 25 employees
- Business must have a Carroll County location and be in good standing with the State of Maryland and Carroll County
- Only one verified business entity per address will be accepted
- No duplicate applications will be accepted
- Eligible uses include working capital to support payroll, rent, mortgage payments, utility expenses or other similar expense that occur in the ordinary course of business operations
The following uses are not eligible for funding:
- Medical service providers
The following information is necessary to complete the application:
- Federal Tax ID # (EIN)
- Maryland Department of Assessment and Taxation Department ID #
- Number of full-time (FTE) employees prior to March 5, 2020
- Business mailing address and description
- Purpose of the request
Applications will be considered on a first-come, first-served basis with the application portal opening today at 5:00 p.m. at http://carrollbiz.org/. Businesses which applied in Phase 1 and received a grant, or the application was determined “Not Eligible”, or the business is “Not in Good Standing” with the Maryland Department of Assessment & Taxation, will not be considered for Phase 2 of this fund. Once the applicants are verified and approved, pending funding availability, the applicant will receive the grant check by mail.
“We recognize the importance of supporting our Carroll County small business community and are pleased to expand this small business grant to include sole proprietors and home businesses,” said Board of Commissioners Vice President Ed Rothstein, “I equate this effort to the military expression ‘One Team, One Fight’; as a community, we will rise above these circumstances by working together and being mutually supportive of each other.”
Carroll County Director of Economic Development Jack Lyburn shared, “Carroll’s diverse economy relies on all types and sizes of businesses. The second phase of this Emergency Relief Fund goes to help sole proprietors and home-based businesses. Please visit https://www.marylandsbdc.org/locations/northern-region to connect with the Carroll County Small Business Administration Center for further assistance.”
About Carroll County Department of Economic Development
The Carroll County Department of Economic Development is a results-oriented team that creates competitive business solutions. To learn more about the programs or opportunities available in Carroll County email firstname.lastname@example.org, visit http://carrollbiz.org, follow @CarrollEconDev on Twitter or call 410-386-2070.