State Health Insurance Assistance Program (SHIP)
The Medicare Part D Open Enrollment period runs from October 15, 2021-December 7, 2021. Medicare beneficiaries can receive assistance from the Carroll County Bureau of Aging & Disabilities’ State Health Insurance Assistance Program (SHIP) to review their current Part D prescription plans or Medicare Advantage plans (Medicare HMO’s or PPO’s). The SHIP Program will begin scheduling appointment for Open Enrollment on September 23, 2021. To schedule an appointment, please call the Bureau of Aging & Disabilities at 410-386-3800.
The State Health Insurance Assistance Program (SHIP) meets one of the most universal needs of Medicare beneficiaries, including those under 65 years of age – understanding their health insurance benefits, bills, and rights. The Maryland SHIP program provides trained staff and volunteer counselors in all 24 counties, including Carroll. Counselors provide in-person and telephone assistance in the following areas:
- Medicare Prescription Drug Coverage Program (Medicare Part D)
- Medicare supplements (Medigap Plans)
- Assistance for disabled Medicare beneficiaries (under age 65)
- Medicare Advantage Plans (HMOs, preferred provider organizations)
- Long Term Care Insurance
- Medical Assistance programs
- Assistance for low-income beneficiaries
- Assistance with denials, appeals, and grievances
- Billing concerns
- Health care fraud and abuse
- Volunteer opportunities
- Volunteer Administrative Assistant – Job Description
- Volunteer Counselor – Job Description
- Volunteer Education & Outreach Ambassador – Job Description
- Volunteer Application
- Free community presentations and much, much more!
SHIP counseling services are confidential and free of charge.
Carroll County Bureau of Aging & Disabilities
125 Stoner Avenue, Westminster, MD 21157
410-386-3800; Maryland Relay Service 711/800-735-2258