Updated Storm Information
Westminster, MD, Tuesday, August 8, 2023 – County, State, and Municipal crews as well as BGE teams continue working round the clock to open roadways, restore power, and clean up areas impacted by yesterday’s severe storm.
Current assessment and details of the local impact and cleanup include:
- At the peak, 122 county roads or multiple sections of roads were closed; the majority due to trees down, trees on powerlines, or powerlines down; as of 5:00 pm today, this number is reduced to 54.
- At the peak, 56,000 plus customers were without power, that number has been reduced to approximately 15,000.
Continue to watch the county’s social media for updated information.
As crews continue efforts to manage storm cleanup, residents should remain cautious on roadways and other areas. Be aware and alert around road and utility crews as well as first responders. Please keep safety in mind for all your activities and check on friends, family members and neighbors.
Many residents turn to generator use during power outages. Generators can be helpful when the power goes out; however, it is critical to know how to use them safely to prevent carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning and other hazards. Please see some helpful guidance below:
- Generators and fuel should always be used outdoors and at least 20 feet away from windows, doors and attached garages.
- Install working carbon monoxide detectors on every level of your home. Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless gas that can kill you, your family, and your pets.
- Keep the generator dry and protected from rain or flooding. Touching a wet generator or devices connected to one can cause electrical shock.
- Always connect the generator to appliances with heavy-duty extension cords.
- Let the generator cool before refueling. Fuel spilled on hot engine parts can ignite.
- Follow the manufacturer’s instructions carefully.
Please contact 9-1-1 for emergencies. Residents wishing to report road-related non-emergencies should use the county’s See Click Report site and mobile app.