Veterans Advisory Council
ARTICLE I - NAME
The name of the Organization shall be: Veterans Advisory Council also known as the VAC or the Council. The Council was formed by the Board of County Commissioners and became effective on July 1, 2014. The Council is an entity of the Department of Citizen’s Services.
ARTICLE II - MISSION
Mission Statement: To evaluate, develop and promote new and existing programs and services for Veterans and their families within Carroll County.
ARTICLE III - VISION
Vision Statement: That Carroll County offers our Veterans quality services and programs to ensure that the enrichment and enhancement of life for our men and women and their families.
ARTICLE IV - PURPOSE
- The purpose of this Council is:
- To strengthen the common veteran’s cause and ensure that the community is aware of veteran’s rights and needs. For future reference when the title of veteran is used it will refer to both men and women.
- To preserve the honor due to all Veterans.
- To help veterans and their families rapidly transition to civilian life in Carroll County. Establish contact with active duty service members who intend to reside in the County to help them avoid transition problems related to unemployment, homelessness as well as physical and mental health challenges.
- To work cooperatively with other County boards and Councils, and County staff with regard to policies, programs, and concerns relating to veterans’ interest, and to maintain a working relationship with all other agencies serving veterans within the County.
- To recognize and honor citizens in the County who distinguish themselves for community service, particularly in the area of veterans’needs and concerns.
- The Council for Veterans, as an entity, shall not attempt to influence legislation unless it pertains to Veterans’ concerns. VAC shall not participate in or intervene in any political campaign on behalf of any candidate for public office, including the publishing or distributing of statements. Nothing in this Section shall prohibit individual members of the Council from participating in political activities including, but not limited to, seeking or holding public office.
ARTICLE V - MEMBERSHIP
- The Council shall consist of fifteen (15) voting members appointed by the Board of County Commissioners.
- Four (4) of the members shall be members of the general public.
- One (1) representative from the Maryland Department of Veterans Affairs.
- One (1) representative from the Maryland Department of Labor, Licensing and Regulation Veterans Employment Section.
- One (1) representative from each of the following organizations for a total of Three (3) members:
- Veterans of Foreign Wars (VFW);
- The American Legion; and
- Disabled American Veterans (DAV)
- Three (3) representatives submitted from any of the following organizations:
- The AMVETS;
- Military Order of the Purple Heart (MOPH);
- Vietnam Veterans of American (VVA);
- Marine Corps League (MCL); and
- the Women’s Army Corps (WAC).
The representative from each organization listed in Article V Sections 4 and 5 above shall be a resident of the County and a Veteran whose final separation from active service with a uniformed service of the United States was under honorable conditions.
- Three (3) members shall consist of the County’s Public Information Officer serving at the time, the Director of Social Services for Carroll County and the Director of Carroll Area Transit or its successor.
- One (1) County Commissioner shall serve as an Ex-Officio member.
- The terms of office for the members of the Council shall be terms of three (3) years each.
- Vacancies shall be filled by appointment for the unexpired terms in the manner the appointments are initially made. The members shall continue in office until their successors are appointed and have qualified. Members shall be eligible for reappointment, but shall not serve more than 2 consecutive terms.
- The name, address, telephone number and e-mail address of each VAC member shall be provided to the Staff Liaison annually prior to the 1st of January, or as required by changes in such information.
ARTICLE VI - Voting
Each Council member shall have one vote, in attendance at any given meeting, on all matters that shall come before the Council.
ARTICLE VII - Staff Support
- The Staff Liaison of the VAC shall be the Veterans Service Officer for Carroll County Government then serving.
- The County shall provide the staff necessary to perform the administrative duties of the Council. Duties include:
- Timely notice of meetings, and
- Recording, transcribing and maintaining a permanent file of the minutes of the Council and,
- Receipt, preparation and transmittal of any correspondence of the Council as well as maintenance of a permanent file of such correspondence, and
- Other duties as may be requested by the Council.
ARTICLE VIII - Termination
- All members serve at the pleasure of the Board of County Commissioners. The Board of County Commissioners may remove a Council member on its own motion or upon the recommendation of the Council. The Board of County Commissioners may remove a member when it determines that it is in the best interest of the Council or the County to do so.
- If the Council determines by a majority vote that a member should be removed, the chairperson of the Council shall report that recommendation to the Board of County Commissioners for its consideration.
- Resignations by members shall be submitted in writing to the Board of County Commissioners.
ARTICLE IX - MEETINGS
- All regular meetings of the Council will be scheduled on the Third Tuesday of each month unless otherwise directed by the Chair.
- A majority of the members of the Council shall constitute a quorum for the transaction of business. A majority of those present at any meeting shall be sufficient for any official action taken by the Council.
- The Chair may call special meeting of the VAC. These special meetings may be called with reasonable notice to the membership, giving the specific reason for such a meeting. The special meeting shall be limited to the special topic for which the meeting was called.
- Robert’s Rules of Order. Revised, will be used to cover items not covered in these Administrative Procedures, when necessary.
ARTICLE X - OFFICERS, BOARDS AND APPOINTEES
The members of the Council shall elect a chairperson from amongst its membership. The chairperson shall preside at all meetings of the Council. The members of the Council shall elect a Vice Chairperson from amongst its membership. The Vice Chairperson shall preside at all meetings of the Council in the absence of the chairperson. The Council may elect other officers from its membership as it deems necessary.
ARTICLE XI - DUTIES OF OFFICERS
- CHAIR shall preside at all meetings; enforce the observance of the By-Laws. Strive for achievement of the purpose and objective of the Council, and represent the VAC at accepted functions. He/She shall appoint standing committee chairpersons and other committee chairpersons as deemed necessary. If the Chair is unable to perform his/her regular duties he/she shall delegate the responsibilities of that office to the Vice Chair.
- VICE CHAIR shall assist the Chair in all functions and chair all meetings in the absence of the Chair.
ARTICLE XII - REPORTS
The Council shall submit an annual report to the Director of Citizens Services for forwarding to the County Commissioners concerning its activities and recommendations.
ARTICLE XIII - AMENDMENTS
These bylaws may be amended, repealed or suspended at any meeting of the Council, in whole or in part, by a two-thirds vote of the voting members of the Council.
ARTICLE XIV - POLICY
- The Veterans Advisory Council shall not adopt policies in conflict with the Constitution of the United States of America, the State of Maryland and/or the Code of Public Laws and Ordinances of Carroll County.
- VAC shall not be used as an influence, directly or indirectly, in any political election or activity for personal gain.
- No member of the VAC shall, without proper-delegated authority, obligate or incur any liabilities in the name of the Carroll County Veterans Advisory Council.
ARTICLE XV - APPROVAL
The foregoing By-Laws of the Veterans Advisory Council shall be the true original publication of this organization and adopted at the meeting by a majority of the members on this date:
Date Adopted: July 1, 2014