Senior Inclusion Program at the Westminster Senior & Community Center
In the spring of 1987, the Carroll County Department of Aging entered into a partnership with the Developmental Disabilities Administration (DDA) to provide day program services to six older intellectually disabled adults at the Westminster Senior Center in what was then known as the "The Resocialization Program."
Over the past 30 years, the program has evolved and has rebranded as the Senior Inclusion Program (SIP). The number of participants and their average age has increased to 26 and 68 respectively. We continue to partner with DDA to provide retirement services to older adults with intellectual and
physical disabilities and remain committed to the provision of person-centered services and opportunities for community connections that promote dignity, independence and an enhanced quality of life.
We do this by making every effort to listen to the people to whom we provide services so that we can provide them a well-rounded meaningful day. Individuals have choices among a variety of new learning experiences that help them grow:
• Sign language classes
• Trips to local libraries
• Learning how to prepare simple meals
• Attend movies at the Carroll Arts Center
• Shop or assist staff in purchasing items that will be used in Senior Center activities
• Eat out at local restaurants
• Attend bus trips with other local seniors to places like Annapolis or Charles Town
• Participate and assist in events recognizing the importance of July 4th, Memorial Day, Veterans Day as well as Elder Abuse Awareness Day
• Focus on physical health by participating in exercise and dancing classes
• Walk around the Senior Center or local park
• Simply slow things down and choose to engage in quiet conversations and activities with other members of the Senior & Community Center
While many of our services take place within the Westminster Senior & Community Center we also strive to provide a full life throughout the local community. Several of our individuals have decided to give back to the community by partnering with:
• Westminster Rescue Mission
• Carroll County Humane Society
• Carroll Hospital
• Carroll Hospice
• Local nursing homes
For additional information about our program contact Rich Ottone, Program Coordinator at 410-386- 3836 or Tiffany Warner, Instruction and Events Coordinator at 410-386-3822.