Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

"How do I apply for a Board or Commission?"

If you are a citizen of Carroll County and would like to serve on one of the County’s Boards or Commissions, please complete this application and click the submit button at the bottom of the page.

"What district do I live in?"

Carroll County is governed by five commissioners, each representing his or her home district. Click on the individual photos to access each commissioner’s page. 
Find your district!

"How can I pay my Property Taxes online?"

You can easily access online bill payments at the top of the home page. Click the "Pay Bill" Quick Link to go to the bill payment screen.
Or use the following link: Property Taxes

"How do I obtain permit history information for a particular property? "
  • Permit data in the PORTAL from 2019 to date will include ALL documents related to the permit file. No PIA’s for this data will be accepted or processed since the information is accessible through the PORTAL. When using the portal simply enter the house # and street name for information.
  • Permit data in the PORTAL from 1988 to 2018 will include basic permit information such as permit number, address, and work description. Should the supporting documents related to these permits be needed a PIA request can be submitted here.
  • Any Permits prior to 1988 will require a PIA request by clicking here.
  • You may want to start by visiting the state assessment website, this will assist you in determining when the primary structure was constructed to help you better determine the timeframe for the information you are seeking.
"How Do I Obtain a Copy of County Excess Funds?"

To request a copy of the county’s Tax Sale Surplus (Excess Funds) List, please email with the request and the correct email address to send the file.

"I have a question or want to change information on my water or sewer account, what do I do? "

Please contact the Accounting department billing office at 410-386-2000. 

"Who do I contact for information or changes to a property tax bill?"

Please contact the Carroll County Tax Office at or 410-386-2971

"I want to change or add/delete information on a deed, who do I contact? "

This information is handled through Carroll County Land Records through the Clerk of the Court. Below is the website and some information:
WESTMINSTER, MD 21157-5155
PHONE: 410-386-8710 and  410-386-8760

"Does the county have blueprints and drawings of my property?"

No, the county does not keep copies of blueprints after projects are complete. 

"How do I dispose excess latex paint?"

Step 1: Combine With Cat Litter
Add equal parts of cat litter to the latex paint in the can. If you have more than half a can, you can also pour the paint into a lined box or trash can Then pour in the cat litter.

Step 2: Allow the Mixture to Set
Stir the cat litter into the paint until it thickens and won't spill. Allow the mixture to sit for one hour.

Step 3: Throw It in the Garbage
Throw the dried paint in the can in the garbage. Be sure to remove the lid from the can.