Citizen Participation Guidelines
The Board of County Commissioners encourages members of the public to experience first-hand how policies and procedures are decided. Meetings are regularly held on Tuesdays and Thursdays in Room 311 of the County Office Building. The following guidelines have been established to ensure that everyone has an opportunity to speak to the Commissioners in an orderly manner:
1. Speakers wishing to address the Board are asked to complete a comment card located on the table in the back of the Board Room and give the card to the County Administrator.
2. Comments are limited to 3 minutes per speaker. When the allotted time expires, the speaker may complete his/her sentence. Remarks may always be submitted to the Board in writing.
3. Comments should be directed to the Board and not to individual members of the Board or county staff. Statements related to personal, ethical, personnel issues or individual staff members are prohibited.
4. Comments will be heard before each agenda item and should be related to that item. Comments related to recent or upcoming agenda items will be heard at the end of each open session prior to recess or adjournment.
5. Citizens may not display signs or posters during meetings of the Board.
6. Citizen Participation time is not a question and answer session. Response to specific questions will be made by the appropriate staff or board member by phone or email.
7. If any individual fails to comply with these guidelines, the Board President or presiding Board Member may suspend the individual’s comment time.
8. If any individual causes a continual disruption during any meeting, he or she will be asked to leave the meeting room.