Building a Pole Building
Your pole building will require a building permit. If wired with electricity, an electrical permit will be required. Please gather the documentation specified below and submit a building permit/zoning application and owner/contractor affidavit. After the building permit is filed, if applicable, have your licensed electrician submit an electrical permit application. If any plumbing is installed, a plumbing permit will be required.
Note: The site of your new pole building will need to be approved by the Carroll County Zoning Administration and the Carroll County Health Department to ensure that the proposed structure is a sufficient distance away from septic systems, water infrastructure, etc. For help with site selection, please contact:
|Carroll County Zoning Administration||410-386-2980|
|Carroll County Health Department||410-876-1884|
Many factors affect the speed with which your application(s) are approved. For best results, it is critical that you carefully review your application and design documents prior to submission to ensure that all necessary documents are included and that the design is compliant with the county code. Normally, permits can be issued within 10-15 business days if the application is complete, accurate, and code-compliant.
Submitted documents must contain sufficient information for the plan reviewer to be able to review the proposed construction.
- ___ Three (3) plot plans of the entire parcel – drawn to scale – to include:
- ___ Location of the proposed structure
- ___ Measurements from the proposed structure to each property line
- ___ Location of and distance from the existing/proposed well and/or septic area
- ___ Road name
- ___ Drywell location
- ___ All Easements (Floodplain, Forest Conservation, and Utilities)
- ___ Area of disturbance
- ___ Two (2) complete sets of detailed construction plans – drawn to scale – to include:
- ___ Footing detail indicating size and depth
- ___ Beam size and connection detail
- ___ Support posts sizes and locations
- ___ Square footage total
Note: Buildings designed greater than thirty-six feet in width or sixty feet in length may require engineered plans.
Your pole building will require a series of inspections throughout the building process. At a minimum, your pole building will require the following:
- Footing - (prior to placement of concrete)
- Framing - (prior to application of any interior wall finish)
Features such as electricity will require additional inspections.