Building an Attached Garage
Your attached garage requires permits and inspections in order to ensure that it is safe for your enjoyment. We encourage you to review our compliance guidelines for attached garages before applying for a permit.
Your attached garage will require a building permit. If your attached garage will be wired with electricity, you will also need an electrical permit. If your attached garage will feature running water, such as for a utility sink, you will also need a plumbing permit.Please gather the construction documentation specified below and submit a building permit application and an owner / contractor affidavit. After the building permit is filed, have your licensed electrician submit an electrical permit application and/or have your licensed plumber submit a plumbing permit application.
Many factors affect the speed with which your application(s) are approved. For best results, it is critical that you carefully review your application and design documents prior to submission to ensure that all necessary documents are included and that the design is compliant with county code. Normally, permits can be issued within 10-15 business days if the application is complete, accurate, and code-compliant.
Construction Document Requirements
Submitted documents must contain sufficient information for the plan reviewer to be able to review the proposed construction.
- ___ Three (3) plot plans of the entire parcel – drawn to scale – to include:
- ___ Location of the proposed structure
- ___ Measurements from the proposed structure to each property line
- ___ Location of any existing structures
- ___ Location of existing/proposed driveway(s)
- ___ Location of and distance from the existing/proposed well and/or septic area
- ___ Road name
- ___ Two (2) complete sets of detailed construction plans – drawn to scale – to include:
- ___ Footing, foundation, and framing plan
- ___ Floor plan for each level with all rooms labeled with the proposed use and structural details
- ___ Cross section (1/4 scale), including all framing details
- ___ Wall section (1/2 scale)
- ___ Include wall bracing compliance and details
- ___ Elevation (front, rear and sides)
- ___ Square footage totals
Your attached garage will require a series of inspections throughout the building process. At a minimum, your attached garage will require the following:
Electrical and Plumbing Inspections (if applicable)