Department of Recreation & Parks
The current COVID-19 situation has led to the declaration of a state of emergency in both Maryland and Carroll County. All regular, in-person Carroll County Recreation & Parks sponsored programs and events including all recreation council activities are cancelled through June 30, 2020.
Recreation & Parks Closures & Cancellations
- 2020 Piney Run & Bear Branch Summer Nature Camps are cancelled
- 2020 Teens on the Go is cancelled
- All regular, in-person Recreation & Parks sponsored programs & events (including Recreation Council activities) - cancelled through June 30
- Cabin Rentals at Hashawha - cancelled through June 30
- Pavilion Reservations at all county parks - cancelled through June 30
- Piney Run Nature Center - closed until further notice
- Bear Branch Nature Center - closed until further notice
- Carroll County Senior & Community Centers - closed until further notice
|FULL REFUNDS WILL BE PROCESSED FOR ALL PROGRAMS
AND RESERVATIONS CANCELLED DUE TO COVID-19.
*Registrants in recreation council programs should contact the council regarding their refund policy.
All pavilion and other group reservations at Carroll County parks are cancelled through June 30, 2020. Recreation & Parks will provide full refunds or reschedule previously reserved dates.
All county parks are open during regular hours, sunrise to sunset. Trails remain open and are an excellent way to get fresh air and exercise.
Park visitors are reminded to follow direction from both state and federal governments:
- no groups of more than 10
- maintain effective social distancing of at least 6 feet (6') or more at all times
Carroll County Recreation & Parks’ Administrative Office in the Robert Moton Center is closed to the public effective at 5pm on March 25, 2020. Those needing to interact with department staff should email email@example.com or call 410-386-2103.
In accordance with the State of Maryland’s Road to Recovery, once Governor Hogan announces a move to Stage 1 Recovery AND replaces the Stay-at-Home order with a voluntary Safer-at-Home order, more changes will be announced.
Please check back and follow us on Facebook to learn about more updates as they are announced.
Recreation & Parks Reopening
- Recreational Fishing & Boating - effective May 7, 2020 at 7am
- Bennett Cerf Dog Park & South Carroll Dog Park - effective May 11, 2020; special rules of usage:
- Less than 10 members at all times in the dog park, consistent with Governor Hogan’s direction.
- All members inside the dog park should practice social distancing, staying at least 6’ away from other users and should not visit if they are sick or were recently exposed to COVID-19, consistent with CDC guidelines.
- People outside the fenced area waiting to use the dog park should practice good social distancing, staying at least 6’ away from others.
- Emails will be sent to all members providing the date of reopening and new rules.
- Signage will be placed at both parks providing details of the revised rules.
- Hap Baker Firearms Facility - effective Wednesday, May 13, 2020 at 10am with regular hours; special rules of usage:
- All users will be required to bring and wear masks in addition to the normal ear & eye protection and must practice social distancing during their usage.
- Playgrounds - effective Thursday, May 14, 2020; caution tape has been removed and closed signs. Please follow recommendations to help slow the spread of COVID-19.
- Piney Run Boat House - effective Tuesday, May 26, 2020, open 7 days a week until Labor Day.
Questions we've received...
Visit the FAQ page for questions we've received and answers.
Recreation & Parks 2020 Run for the Roll Marathon
Carroll County Park Legacy Fund
Capital Projects Request Form
Piney Run Park
Hashawha Environmental Center & Bear Branch Nature Center
Connecting people, parks and programs in support of a strong, healthy community and natural environment.
Welcome to the Carroll County Department of Recreation & Parks web site. We proudly serve our residents with nearly 30 developed parks and several thousand acres of open space. We are committed to providing quality park facilities and programs for your enjoyment. Whether you choose to walk on one of our trails, participate in a class, play a sport, enjoy the arts, learn about and appreciate nature or enjoy a community event – there is truly something for everyone.
We are dedicated to improving the quality of life in our growing community by protecting beautiful public places and providing quality recreation programs. We continue to take pride in our accomplishments and welcome your ideas and suggestions to help us serve you better. We are proud to be a part of making Carroll County, Maryland a great place to live, to work and to play.
Jeff R. Degitz, Director