Department of Recreation & Parks
The current COVID-19 situation has led to the declaration of a state of emergency in both Maryland and Carroll County. All Carroll County Recreation & Parks sponsored programs and events including all recreation council activities are canceled through at least April 26, regardless of their location.
Recreation & Parks Closures & Cancellations
- Recreation & Park sponsored programs - through at least April 26
- All Recreation Council programs, practices & activities - through at least April 26
- Piney Run Nature Center - until further notice
- Piney Run Boat House - until further notice
- Piney Run Gate House - until further notice
- Boating at Piney Run Park (no boating allowed on the lake) - until further notice
- Bear Branch Nature Center - until further notice
- Hap Baker Fire Arms Facility - until further notice
- Bennett Cerf Dog Park and South Carroll Dog Park - until further notice
- Carroll County Senior & Community Centers - until further notice
All pavilion and other group reservations at Carroll County parks are canceled through April 26, 2020. Recreation & Parks will provide full refunds or reschedule previously reserved dates.
All county parks will remain open during regular hours, sunrise to sunset except for Piney Run Park which will be open from 7am to sunset, Monday through Friday only. Trails remain open and are an excellent way to get fresh air and exercise.
Park visitors are reminded to follow direction from both state and federal governments:
- no groups of more than 10
- maintain effective social distancing of at least 6 feet (6') or more at all times
While we have advised against the use of playgrounds and at this time, we are now also marking them as “closed”. The parks can be a great place for people to get fresh air and exercise. However, if these simple rules are not followed, these positive experiences can turn negative quickly. No matter where you are, always remember to wash your hands, don’t touch your face, and if you are not feeling well, stay home.
Carroll County Recreation & Parks’ Administrative Office in the Robert Moton Center is closed to the public effective at 5pm on March 25, 2020. Those needing to interact with department staff should email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 410-386-2103.
Questions we have received...
- Are County parks open?
Most of the county’s 28 parks are currently open sunrise to sunset. The exceptions are listed below:
- Bennett Cerf Dog Park is closed.
- South Carroll Dog Park is closed.
- The Hap Baker Firearms Facility is closed.
- Both Piney Run and Bear Branch Nature Centers are closed.
- Piney Run Park is open reduced hours from 7am to sunset Monday through Friday only and will be closed on weekends. Trails are open and fishing from the shore or piers is permitted.
- Hashawha Environmental Center cabins are closed but trails remain open.
- Why is there no boating allowed at Piney Run Park during the closures?
Due to the state of emergency related to COVID-19, we have limited staff at Piney Run Park and are unable to effectively monitor boaters or respond to anyone in need of assistance. With respect to these safety concerns, we have made the decision to suspend all park boating operations at this time. This includes boat rentals, privately owned boats and SUP’s.
- Can I still go hiking/visit the parks?
Yes, absolutely! However, Piney Run Nature Center and Bear Branch Nature Center and their bathrooms are closed, so plan accordingly, bring a water bottle and remember to practice good social distancing.
- What about the play equipment, is it safe to play on?
While we have advised against the use of playgrounds and at this time, we are now also marking them as “closed”. The parks can be a great place for people to get fresh air and exercise. However, if these simple rules are not followed, these positive experiences can turn negative quickly. For more information on how to stop the spread of germs and the COVID-19 virus go to https://www.carrollcountymd.gov/residents/county-spotlight/covid-19-information/stop-the-spread-of-germs/
- What if a program I am signed up for gets canceled or postponed?
If a program you have signed up for gets canceled you will be notified and we will start the refund process which can take up to 7-10 business days under normal conditions, possibly longer with reduced staffing. If the program is postponed, you will be notified that the program has been postponed – when a date has been determined you will also be notified.
Capital Projects Request Form
Carroll County Park Legacy Fund
Piney Run Park
Hashawha Environmental Center & Bear Branch Nature Center
Connecting people, parks and programs in support of a strong, healthy community and natural environment.
Welcome to the Carroll County Department of Recreation & Parks web site. We proudly serve our residents with nearly 30 developed parks and several thousand acres of open space. We are committed to providing quality park facilities and programs for your enjoyment. Whether you choose to walk on one of our trails, participate in a class, play a sport, enjoy the arts, learn about and appreciate nature or enjoy a community event – there is truly something for everyone.
We are dedicated to improving the quality of life in our growing community by protecting beautiful public places and providing quality recreation programs. We continue to take pride in our accomplishments and welcome your ideas and suggestions to help us serve you better. We are proud to be a part of making Carroll County, Maryland a great place to live, to work and to play.
Jeff R. Degitz, Director
Late Night FishingJune5Piney Run Park | 06:00 PM - 12:00 AM
Late Night FishingJuly3Piney Run Park | 06:00 PM - 12:00 AM
Late Night FishingAugust7Piney Run Park | 06:00 PM - 12:00 AM
Late Night FishingSeptember4Piney Run Park | 06:00 PM - 12:00 AM
Late Night FishingOctober2Piney Run Park | 06:00 PM - 12:00 AM
Late Night FishingNovember6Piney Run Park | 06:00 PM - 12:00 AM