Share The Road
Work zones present a different environment for drivers to navigate. Drivers are likely to encounter uneven pavement, narrow lanes, concrete barriers, slow-moving heavy equipment and vehicles that make sudden stops. Please keep the following tips in mind when driving through work zones:
- Slow down and always follow posted work zone speed limits. Remember, traffic fines double in work zones when workers are present.
- Pay attention as workers and heavy equipment may only be a few feet from passing vehicles.
- Don’t tailgate. Give yourself room to stop in a hurry. Rear-end collisions are the most common kind of work zone crashes
- Stay alert, minimize distractions and put the phone away.
- Watch out for road crews. The only protective gear they wear is a vest, hard hat, and safety boots. Their bodies are no match for your vehicle.
- Allow extra time. Road construction slows things down. Count on it and plan for it.