Air Quality Relief Centers to Open Thursday, June 8th
Westminster, MD, Thursday, June 8, 2023 – Forecasters anticipate hazardous air quality for our area on Thursday, June 8th. Due to the expected poor air quality, the Carroll County Department of Citizen Services, Carroll County Public Library System, and Human Service Programs of Carroll County, Inc. will operate air quality relief centers around the county. Residents who are vulnerable to air pollution and who do not have air-conditioning in their homes or sufficient air filtration systems are encouraged to visit any of the following locations until the close of business:
Relief centers are open during the following hours Thursday at county Senior Centers and the Department of Citizen Services.
- Citizen Services Office Building, 10 Distillery Drive, Westminster (8 AM – 5 PM)
- Mount Airy Senior and Community Center, 703 Ridge Avenue, Mount Airy (8 AM – 11:30 AM ONLY)
- North Carroll Senior and Community Center, 2328 Hanover Pike, Hampstead (8 AM – 11:30 AM ONLY)
- South Carroll Senior and Community Center, 5928 Mineral Hill Road, Eldersburg (8 AM – 11:30 AM ONLY)
- Taneytown Senior and Community Center, 220 Roberts Mill Road, Taneytown (8 AM – 11:30 AM ONLY)
- Westminster Senior and Community Center, 125 Stoner Ave., Westminster (8 AM – 11:30 AM ONLY)
All branches of the Carroll County Public Library System will also be open as relief centers during regular business hours Thursday.
- Eldersburg Branch, 6400 Hemlock Drive, Eldersburg (9 AM - 8 PM)
- Finksburg Branch, 2265 Old Westminster Pike, Finksburg (9 AM - 8 PM)
- Mt. Airy Branch, 705 Ridge Avenue, Mt. Airy (9 AM - 8 PM)
- North Carroll Branch, 2255 Hanover Pike, Hampstead (9 AM - 8 PM)
- Taneytown Branch, 10 Grand Drive, Taneytown (9 AM - 8 PM)
- Westminster Branch, 50 East Main Street, Westminster (9 AM - 8 PM)
Facilities operated by private/non-governmental organizations will also be open as relief centers during specific business hours.
- Human Services Programs Adult Only Homeless Shelter, 127 Stoner Avenue, Westminster (24/7)
Access to air conditioning and water fountains will be available for those who need them at any of the relief centers.
For additional information on safety tips, please visit the Carroll County Health Department website at: https://cchd.maryland.gov/.
For additional information on current air quality conditions, please visit Maryland Department of the Environment website at: