Relief Centers to Open Tuesday - Wednesday, September 5 - 6
Tuesday, September 5, 2023 – Forecasters are issuing a heat advisory for our area on Tuesday, September 5 through Wednesday, September 6. Because of the anticipated extreme temperatures for today and tomorrow, the Carroll County Department of Citizen Services and the Carroll County Public Library System will operate relief centers around the county. Residents who are vulnerable to high temperatures and who do not have proper protection in their homes are encouraged to cool off in any of the following locations until the close of business:
Relief centers are open during regular business hours at County Senior Centers and the Department of Citizen Services.
- Citizen Services Office Building, 10 Distillery Drive, Westminster (8 AM – 4 PM Tues. – Wed.)
- Mount Airy Senior and Community Center, 703 Ridge Avenue, Mount Airy (8 AM – 4 PM Tues. – Wed.)
- North Carroll Senior and Community Center, 2328 Hanover Pike, Hampstead (8 AM – 4 PM Tues. – )
- South Carroll Senior and Community Center, 5928 Mineral Hill Road, Eldersburg (8 AM – 4 PM Tues. – Wed.)
- Taneytown Senior and Community Center, 220 Roberts Mill Road, Taneytown (8 AM – 4 PM Tues. – Wed.)
- Westminster Senior and Community Center, 125 Stoner Ave., Westminster (8 AM – 4 PM Tues. – Wed.)
All branches of the Carroll County Public Library System will also be open as cooling centers during regular business hours.
- Eldersburg Branch, 6400 Hemlock Drive, Eldersburg (9 AM – 8 PM Tues. – Wed.)
- Finksburg Branch, 2265 Old Westminster Pike, Finksburg (9 AM – 8 PM Tues. – Wed.)
- Mt. Airy Branch, 705 Ridge Avenue, Mt. Airy (9 AM – 8 PM Tues. – Wed.)
- North Carroll Branch, 2255 Hanover Pike, Hampstead (9 AM – 8 PM Tues. – Wed.)
- Taneytown Branch, 10 Grand Drive, Taneytown (9 AM – 8 PM Tues. – Wed.)
- Westminster Branch, 50 East Main Street, Westminster (9 AM – 8 PM Tues. – Wed.)
Facilities operated by private/non-governmental organizations will also be open as cooling centers during specific business hours.
- Carroll County Veterans Independence Project, 95 Carroll Street, Suite 104, Westminster (10 AM – 4 PM Tues. – Wed.)
- On Our Own of Carroll County, 265 East Main Street, Suite C, Westminster (9 AM – 12:45 PM Tues. & 9 AM – 3 PM Wed.)
- Human Services Programs Adult Only Homeless Shelter, 127 Stoner Avenue, Westminster (12 PM - 8 PM Tues. – Wed.)
Access to air conditioning and water fountains will be available for those who need them at any of the cooling centers.
Carroll County Emergency Management offers the following safety tips for when temperatures and humidity are high:
- Stay indoors or in shaded areas whenever possible.
- Stay hydrated, drinking 24-32 ounces of water each hour.
- If exposed to the heat and feel nauseous or dizzy, stop what you are doing and call 911.
For additional information, visit the Carroll County Health Department website at: