Cooling Centers to Open Thursday, August 4th
Westminster, MD, Wednesday, August 3, 2022 – Forecasters are anticipating excessive heat for our area for Thursday, August 4, 2022. Due to the anticipated high temperatures, the Carroll County Department of Citizen Services, Carroll County Public Library System, Human Service Programs of Carroll County, Inc., and the Carroll County Veterans Independence Project will operate cooling centers around the county. Residents who are vulnerable to extreme heat and who do not have air-conditioning in their homes are encouraged to cool off in any of the following locations until the close of business:
Cooling centers are open during regular business hours Thursday at County Senior Centers and the Department of Citizen Services.
- Citizen Services Office Building, 10 Distillery Drive, Westminster (8 AM - 5 PM)
- Mount Airy Senior and Community Center, 703 Ridge Avenue, Mount Airy (8 AM - 4 PM)
- North Carroll Senior and Community Center, 2328 Hanover Pike, Hampstead (8 AM - 4 PM)
- South Carroll Senior and Community Center, 5928 Mineral Hill Road, Eldersburg (8 AM - 4 PM)
- Taneytown Senior and Community Center, 220 Roberts Mill Road, Taneytown (8 AM - 4 PM)
- Westminster Senior and Community Center, 125 Stoner Ave., Westminster (8 AM - 4 PM)
All branches of the Carroll County Public Library System will also be open as cooling centers during regular business hours Thursday.
- Eldersburg Branch, 6400 Hemlock Drive, Eldersburg (9 AM - 8 PM)
- Finksburg Branch, 2265 Old Westminster Pike, Finksburg (9 AM - 8 PM)
- Mt. Airy Branch, 705 Ridge Avenue, Mt. Airy (9 AM - 8 PM)
- North Carroll Branch, 2255 Hanover Pike, Hampstead (9 AM - 8 PM)
- Taneytown Branch, 10 Grand Drive, Taneytown (9 AM - 8 PM)
- Westminster Branch, 50 East Main Street, Westminster (9 AM - 8 PM)
Facilities operated by private/non-governmental organizations will also be open as cooling centers during specific business hours.
- Carroll County Veterans Independence Project, 95 Carroll Street, Suite 104, Westminster (10 AM - 4 PM)
- Human Services Programs Adult Only Homeless Shelter, 127 Stoner Avenue, Westminster (24/7)
Access to air conditioning and water fountains will be available for those who need them at any of the cooling centers.
Carroll County Emergency Management offers the following safety tips for when temperatures and humidity are high:
- Slow down. Strenuous activities should be reduced or rescheduled to the coolest time of the day.
- Wear loose, lightweight, and light-colored clothing.
- Eat less protein and more fruits and vegetables, and drink plenty of water.
- Stay in air-conditioned buildings or rooms, and limit time outside if possible.
- Additional places you can go to cool down in Carroll County include stores, malls, restaurants, churches, movie theaters, and homes of friends and family.
For additional information, visit the Carroll County Health Department website at: